75100385

I have a question about who is liable to pay electricity

Customer Question

I have a question about who is liable to pay for illegaal electricity supplies which have been discovered in the development i live in. I own one of the flats and the management agency has written to say this has just come to light and we have to pay £400 immediately or we'll be disconnected. I would have thought the builder was liable to pay (the development is c. 8 years old. When i asked for more information i got the following response:
Unfortunately I am unable to answer your question as I do not know the answer. I have been advised by the UK Power Network that there are 3 illegal supplies which were installed when the development was built therefore I do not have any details regarding this. I know this must be frustrating however all I can advise if for you to contact the previous freeholder/developer details of which can be found on your lease.
I'm just keen to understand what my rights are.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Anna Carluccio
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you been asked to pay please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have paid already then got a message about having a discussion - is this £35 in addition to the £38 i've already paid?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean has the managemetn agency asked for payment? if so, yes - £400 in the next 14 days or we will be disconnected

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Ps could you let me how long this is likely to take as i might need to pop out?

thanks

anna

I meant electrical supply Anna! How much have you been asked to pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as far as i can tell the bill is c. £11,600 - this is to disconnect and reconnect the electricity supply. I am dealing with the management agency, whcih is requesting £400 from each flat

But it was not you that did it illegally ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nno the builder did it. its nothing to do with me

Ok then legally they can't make you pay it. You should only pay for energy you used. The management need to find out who used it and go after them. It's not your debt so you are not responsible for it.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.