How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10915
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was involved in a minor incident this morning where a bus

Customer Question

I was involved in a minor incident this morning where a bus driver was abused, I was then abused - including racially (I am white) - for asking the lady to calm down, and then got into an altercation after getting off the bus. However, the lady in question threw one parting insult which tipped me over the edge and I threw the first punch. I would never normally behave in this way and have no criminal record of any kind. I would like to report her to the police, my face is very scratched up and she repeatedly threatened me, however because I threw the first punch I am worried that everything else will be ignored and would result in an assualt charge for me. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you do it in self defence ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ultimately, no. I saw red and snapped. But this was after the woman in question had verbally abused both myself and the bus driver including making threats to me and racial abuse. I was walking away and she made one final comment and I just snapped.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you report it then of course you run a risk of being prosecuted. If you had been acting in self defence it may have been different. But if not then sadly you could also be prosecuted.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am concerned that she may report this against me. In the event that this happens, if I have not voluntarily spoken to the police about the incident, is this likely to work against me if she tries to bring charges? As I said, I have no criminal record and am extremely unhappy about what happened, I have never reacted in this way before, and I want to ensure I have taken the best course of action, not only to protect myself but to prosecute the woman in question.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No it wont make any difference. It may be if anything happens you are offered a caution.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice