75100385

Recently I was in a car accident (not my fault) and was

Customer Question

Hi, recently I was in a car accident (not my fault) and was offered a hire car through a credit agreement. After 5 days of having the car the insurance offered me a settlement which I rejected. Within 4 hours I was told to return the vehicle immediately (next day). I was not able to do this as I was on a business trip and the vehicle was at the airport. I returned the vehicle 5 days later. I have now been charged £553 for this vehicle and my insurance/solicitors are not seeking to recover
I feel this is unjustifiable. I have been considerably out of pocket since this accident 3 months ago. Any advice?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this
On what basis was the settlement rejected please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I rejected the first offer for my car because it was considerably lower than market value (£6900 offered and I felt £8000 was reasonable in my case). Two weeks of exchanges followed and eventually we settled on £7650

Anything else let me know

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Was it on credit hire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it was a credit hire rental agreement. I can attach a copy if you need it

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No that is ok. When you signed it, it said you would responsible for the charges, is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does say that liability rests with me but is this not deemed unfair?

I was reluctant to sign but felt I had no choice as i was in a desperate situation as we have no other car between my partner and I, and we need one

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You were given a 14 day cooling off period, why did you not cancel within that time as per the Consumer Contract Regulations 2014?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I received the hire car on Monday 23rd March

The first valuation was sent to me on Wednesday 01st (9 days)

The request from solicitors to return the car came immediately that afternoon with a collection for Thursday 02nd (as discussed I was away on business)

The car was returned Tuesday 07th (15 days)

We agreed on the car settlement on 16th

Cancelling within 14 days was thus not an option

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I assume you had the choice to read the agreement before you signed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did. When I called the solicitors to get some assistance as I was concerned that in the agreement the hire charge per day was excessive (£338 per day) I was told that this was excessive because it is a negotiation piece between them (solicitors) and other party's insurer and not to worry

I was therefore confused at where the liability sat

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you thought the price was high, yet you still signed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.I haven't been charged that amount either (£110 per day)

It is beginning to sound like I'm out of pocket here, is this s lost cause?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its bad news I am afraid, because this is credit hire then sadly you alone are responsible for the fees. If you did not want the car then you didnt not need sign it. You could have gotten a rental car locally yourself.
You can certainly contest the amount you have to pay, but not the principle if that makes sense?
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.