A TV license fine arrived at my name from when I was

Hi, a TV license fine arrived at my name from when I was living in London last year. I was a tenant in a house with more people paying rent (which included all bills and also TV license). My ex-landlord didn't pay the TV license and I assume then that he put my name as the owner so the fine will arrive at my name. I need help to know how to proceed and null the fine. Thanks a lot

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether you had a TV without a licence and if you were ever caught?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex, thanks.

No, I never had a TV without license. I moved to London in 2013, that's when I went to live in that house. But the house was never mine, I was just a tenant there, I just paid rent to an agency. The contract said the TV license was included but obviously they never paid it.

A couple times a man came to the house saying that the TV needed a license and we told him to talk to the agency since they are the owners. And he said he would talk to them. Maybe he talked and the agency put my name as the owner, but I'm not and never was. Another important this is that the date of the fine is December 4th of 2014 but I moved away from that house September 12th of 2014 (so 3 months before).

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the contract says it was included then you can provide that to the people that issue the fine. In any event you are not liable. Even if you do pay it you could take the landlord to Court for breach of contract.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks for the info, I'm just still a little bit confused.

If I don't do anything right now, can they still track me and ask me to pay the fine? Or do I need to fill in some paperwork to null the fine? So far I haven't paid anything, the fine is just at my name but I didn't pay of course. So, so far I haven't had any looses.

Because they can't prove the TV was mine. They just have my name and that's it. I don't even live in that house anymore. I knew about the fine because a friend of mine who still lives there told me about a letter that arrived to my name from Collectica asking for the money. Can they actually fine me just by having my name and nothing else? no proof or bills or anything?

Another thing is that I don't even live in the same city anymore.

Thanks a lot

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You dont need to do anything at the moment. They would need to prove you were watch TV without a licence. If you dont admit to it, you are not guilty!
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.