12826847

My friend was attacked in her home recently by her partner.

Customer Question

My friend was attacked in her home recently by her partner. He has been held on remand initially for 7 days and a further hearing is being held to determine if he should be further remanded until trial. Whilst in prison, her (ex) partner phoned her very upset and apologised nod has somehow managed to persuade her to give the courts a statement that could see him released at the second hearing at least until the trial. The expartners solicitor has now contacted her and is seeking a meeting presumably to get this statement before the second hearing date. I am very concerned about this as I would presume her ex should not be contacting her and that his solicitor may get a statement which is harmful to both her and the case when it is eventually heard. I have advised her not to do anything until the case is heard but she seems hell bent on ignoring this advice. What are the potential consequences of her following her apparent course of action?
None really. She can give a retraction statement to his solicitor. The PF might not accept it but it can be given.
I suppose the fact that she has done this could be a point to be used in cross examination but nothing more than that and it sounds as though that is her intention anyway.
I wouldn't stress about this if I were you. I understand that you are concerned and trying to help but the problem is that if she chooses to engage with a person who, on her account, is violent then that is a matter for her. You cannot force a person to exercise judgement.