Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have purchased 2 leather sofas , I ordered from a design

i have purchased 2 leather sofas , I ordered from a design in a store and in a specific leather colour and quality , now the sofas have arrived the leather on all the 4 the footrests are of an inferior quality to the rest of the sofa , they have a different texture appearance and colour and bares no resemblance to the leather swatch we ordered from, I have contacted the store and they say all leather is different, I have said I appreciate that and the rest of the leather on the seat and back cushions are all made from varying grains but in a good quality smooth soft leather , the footrests however are all totally different , they are rough stiff and have virtually no grain at all , on top of that they are all wrinkled and poorly fitted to the frame, I went back into the store to check the display model and that one has all the recliner footrests in the same quality leather as the seat and back cushions and not a different leather , nothing was said when we ordered the sofa, is there anything I can do , the sofas cost us £2800
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Under the Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to receive goods of satisfactory quality so it appears that you may have a claim under that Act.
I would suggest as a first step you notify Trading Standards of your dispute with the retailer, they will give you a reference number which you can use in correspondence which will make the retailer realise you mean business.
You should then write to the retailer quoting the reference number and say that unless they come up with a satisfactory proposal for remedying the situtation you will have no alternative but to bring a claim and that you do not accept their position that this is due to 'all leather being different'. You can say that you will be happy for them to come and inspect the furniture. You should say that you expect a response within 7 days.
I think that this will lead them to take action.
If it does not then it will be worth you asking an independent furniture expert to inspect the furniture and you can then lodge a claim.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.