Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My husband, an ex Mayor of our town, died recently. We held

Customer Question

My husband, an ex Mayor of our town, died recently. We held a family funeral, very carefully choreographed by my family to celebrate the very special man he was. The funeral director was instructed to reserve the three front pews on either side of the Church for family members who were taking an active part in the service. However, uninvited, the present Town Mayor and his wife (who were intensively disliked by my husband) turned up wearing their Mayoral chains, sat in the foremost seats of the reserved pews, and refused to move when the Funeral Director asked them to. Did they have the right to do this? The funeral was a private family and friends occasion, of which they were neither, and yet their behaviour ruined what was meant to be a carefully planned occasion,and upset all of those who wished to play a genuine part in the tribute to a dearly loved man. Do I have any recourse?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. However there is no law preventing a person from sitting in any church pew that he chooses. Seating arrangements are informal and are not legally binding. But if you feel unhappy about the manner in which the Mayor dealt with this sensitive issue you could complain to his office - or even to the local media. He is an elected councillor and should have behaved in a more sympathetic way and most certainly should have complied with the request by the Funeral Director - the fact that he did not demonstrates this Mayor's lack of empathy and the needs of the family. So, in short, whilst you have no legal recourse you do have grounds to complain about his behaviour.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Can I assist any further?