75100385

I bought a shop off of the owner approx 18 months ago.

Customer Question

Hi. I bought a shop off of the owner approx 18 months ago. She has set up clubs the same night and time as I run my clubs... I own a wool and fabric shop and teach patchwork and crochet. She encourages existing customers to shop elsewhere and is detrimental regarding me and the shop. The purchase included a good will payment. Is there anything I can do please.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was there a contract when you sold? If so anything about her saying these things etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there wasn't a contract as she was supposed to be a very good friend of my mother in law. I can proove good will payment from purchase receipt. She has been very clever up to now with all comments being verbal but her group Facebook acct for her club sew crafty show her recommending other shops, never mine and I have been told by customers that she says not to use my shop. She slipped up recently by posting a comment on the Facebook acct. One of her club members posted that she went to hobbycraft to buy toy eyes and couldn't believe they didn't sell them and stressed her annoyance at having to drive to ***** *****. This woman used to shop in my shop. Another of the club members then wrote that I stock all toy eyes. The previous owner then responded with: 'their eyes need to be blacked' referring to us. She then went on to list where the items could be purchased on line. This woman along with her friend who used to work for me both run the clubs and have both been very busy slatng both me and my shop. I know this may seem childish which I agree, but she owned the shop for approx 20 years and has caused a lot of heartache and loss of existing customers.

What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sorry I hadnt realised you had replied. I would like to be able to stop this woman from continuing her actions against me and my shop. I would have thought she would have given up by now but the threat on facebook, that my eyes should be blackend, shows that she is yet to grow up. Her actions have made some customers shop elsewhere and for me, has made the whole experience fraught.

Is there anything I can do to make her stop, or have to move her clubs or indeed repay some of the good will money to me ... basically in a less polite way I would like to make her crawl away back under her stone.

You need to write and set out your losses and request they stop or say you will seek compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats great thank you. I was hoping this situation would go away but sadly it isnt.

Thank you for your help. I will start to compile the letter.

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.