LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

If my estranged wife takes money out of my isa account by

if my estranged wife takes money out of my isa account by internet banking without my knowledge or permission she changed email account to hers for notifications she put it into my account then transferred it into her account is that fraud or theft ? .what can i do . she took £1500 1st n then straight after took £ 500 on the same day

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
The first thing to do, obviously, is to make sure that she cannot take money out your ISA any more. I hope you have taken steps to prevent this.
It may be that she has committed an offence, possibly theft and possibly a fraud by misrepresentation if she has pretended to be you at some point during the withdrawal process.
In order to be found guilty the prosecution would need to prove that she acted dishonestly in doing this and if, for example, she argues that the money was actually hers then it might be hard to prove the case against her.
The police probably regard this as a civil dispute between you and your wife, that would be typical in this situation.
I hope this answers your question but please feel free to ask further questions.