12826847

I noticed (on the date of the transaction) that an amount had

Customer Question

I noticed (on the date of the transaction) that an amount had been paid out from my bank account via direct debit (DD) to a company - with whom I have no contract. I immediately called the company to find out why and who had instigated this. They refused to give me any details, quoting "data protection" and referred me to my bank to initiate a query and have the money refunded.
I did so and the amount was re-credited, but my bank advise that they can't give me any details because they have none. They advise me that the DD was set up through AUDDIS, and they are not party top any originator information.
So my bank say they can't help me establish who is responsible for this, because they have no details. The company that set up the DD won't give me any details "quoting data protection".
Surely, I have the right to know what has happened, and if the case, the name of the originator. The company will not even tell me if the originator did supply my account details in setting up the direct debit or whether it was their mistake.
What can I do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. So you know the identity of the company who took the payment as it was apparent on the bank statement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i know the identity of the company who took the payment because it is apparent to the banking statement.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok so why is the bank not processing it as a unknown transaction? What information do they say they require to do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the bank has processed it on their end as an unknown transaction. our account has been credited some weeks ago and the letter received today from the bank in response to my request for a copy of DD mandate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the purpose of my question is how to get or establish who has used our bank details unauthorized
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you made a formal complaint to the bank yet please?