12826847

My granddaughter has a eyebrow piercing, apparently it is

Customer Question

My granddaughter has a eyebrow piercing, apparently it is against school rules even though she has a clear one, they have threatened to stop her taking her exams she is 15. And today, even thought she is one of their best discus throwers they stopped her taking part in an important competion representing her school, which if she was successful could have lead to more competition s and improved her standing within the athletic circuit. She did take it out for one of her exams and as a result has now got an infection and is in a lot of pain. She took it out otherwise they were not going to allow her to take the exam, which is e20% of her final total. She has had the piercing for approx 10months, but they have only just started this vendetta against her. Do I have a case for her civil rights. Maureen Sollitt. Thank you.
If this does offend against the school dress code then they are free to do this. You need to check to see whether it does or not but, in truth, if this is an eyebrow piercing then probably it does.
This is not an issue of her talent. It is an issue of compliance with their rules.
The fact that they have only just noticed is unattractive obviously but it does not mean they cannot enforce school rule requirements.
I'm afraid you do not have a civil right to wear an eye brow piercing or indeed to take exams. There are actually very few written rights in the UK. What we have is residual rights - a freedom to do anything that is not prohibited.
In sporting competitions it is generally a good idea to remove even earrings given the risk of injury.
She can put it in when she goes home as she chooses.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.