LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We are in arrears with rent and land lord has told us to

Customer Question

Hi we are in arrears with rent and land lord has told us to leave ,we have past the date and can't find anywhere to go,yesterday a letter was on the door saying they are changing lock today can they do this
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
They can only do this legally if they have a court order for possession of the property. You would know if they did have an order. If they attempt to change the locks or physically throw you out then they are committing the offence of illegal eviction.
If they attempt to do this then call 999 and the police may well arrest your landlord if he persists.
I Hope this answers your question but please ask further questions if it doesn't.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have not told us they have a court order
Then they don't and it is a crime for them to try to evict you by eg changing the locks..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is fine.