12826847

I am unable to read and write, what concessions must a court

Customer Question

I am unable to read and write, what concessions must a court allow me as a defendant in a civil case?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What type of of claim and what is the value?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Alex,

the Claim was for in the region of £700K, the court has given in favour of the claimant at just under £1 million. (I have a friend writing the questions for me as I do not read and write) i have had problems with Council not acting on instructions and missing opportunities to appeal at every stage of this and the pre-ceeding case, the result is a total loss of my property and livelihood, which is catastrophic

Your own Counsel? Did you have a Solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

both my own counsel and my own solicitor did not follow my instructions and gave advice which contributed to the court finding against me and my sister

When was the hearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The court judgement being made absolute was on 10th June, the previous hearing was in March this year

Ok. If you were represented, what concessions do you say the court should have made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am asking if there are any special considerations afforded to people who are unable to read and write as they are at a significant disadvantage even if they are represented. This is the second case that has resulted from a solicitor error, which has been compounded by further solicitor errors, which I do not believe would have happened to someone who was able to read the documents themselves, I have to take everything on trust and it seems that I have been mistaken in trusting both solicitors and councel.

Have you appealed that latest decision which you are unhappy with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the appeal was also on 10th June, the Judge said I could not appeal as to make an appeal would put the claimant at a financial disadvantage as the appeal would divert my funds from the claimant.

Ok, so was permission refused?