Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father died 1994 my mother died March 2015. Throughout the

My father died 1994 my mother died March 2015. Throughout the latter stages of her life (last 3yrs in care home) mother was adamant that her house (mortgage free) should be shared equally between my brother (57) and me(72). However unknown to me he got the house signed over to him around 1995.His son is now living in it and they have done some building work to it.House value £120.000(rough guess) How do we stand (me and 2 children)re inheritance?
George Downs
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that if the Deeds to the house were transferred to your brother in 1995, the legal ownership of the house passed to him at that time. Despite your Mother's wishes for the property to pass equally between the 2 of you, unfortunately as she is/was no longer the legal owner of the property, her wish had no legal standing.

Unless you can prove your brother in some way obtained the proerty by fraudulent means back in 1995 or by exerting undue influence on your Mother,

there is nothing you can do to make a claim against it.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al