Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have 3 terraced properties which were occupied by students

Customer Question

I have 3 terraced properties which were occupied by students and is now in poor condition with no water supply at all, heating or kitchen or washing/toilet facilities
I will knock into one and renovate it asap but want an exemption from council tax
the council has said that for the class G exemption they require proof in writing of a court order that prevents occupation or "any other such legalisation that may apply
I believe it would be unlawful to let it in this state
do you know what legislation applies eg Environmental or housing acts
thank you
Rachel
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides a definition of what is suitable for human habitation under a lease - S.10 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/10 . It is implied that an applicable to this act must be fit fir human habitation - this includes access to water supply.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Furthermore - if the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is not applicable to you the Housing Act 2004 and the Housing health and safety rating may apply - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-health-and-safety-rating-system-guidance-for-landlords-and-property-related-professionals - water supply is listed as one of the 20 odd potential hazards.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The problem is you do not have a lease yet, so potentially either of these could apply.Can I assist any further?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Kind regards AJ