13262538

How do I find out if a marriage has been recorded as divorced.

How do I find out if a marriage has been recorded as divorced. I have all the marriage details and registration numbers, the wedding took place in 1980 and no contact has been made since 1984 so how would I find out if the other partner had filed for divorce.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The only way to do this is to pay to have a search done using the form here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/d440-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that my husband was still married when he married me, I have the information relating to the marriage, registration numbers and spouses surname, I also know the first name but don't know for sure the spelling as you can spell it two ways. the form for the decree absolute wont help me if I don't know if the spouse has applied for a divorce since marriage in 1980. Do they not have some reference to go along side the marriage certificate. I am confused as to where I go now. If you look up the marriage records it just shows you the date and details of the marriage, how do you find out if that still stands if you don't know the person to ask the information.

The only way to find out is to check to see if there was ever a Decree Absolute ending the marriage.
If there is no Decree Absolute then unless the divorce happened abroad the marriage is still in existence
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How will I find the information, is it expensive to get a copy of the marriage certificate to get the full name of spouse. I wont know where or when the divorce if there is one, where filed from. Do you have any suggestions please.

You fill in as much of the form as you can - the ames and the date of marriage that you have and then send it off.
You do not need to answer every question on the form - just as many as you can