13262538

I have been recieving widowed parents allowance since 2002

Customer Question

i have been recieving widowed parents allowance since 2002 ..i have been informed it will stop inseptember as my son begins university, and child benefit stops. However my statement says this benefit was made up of my late husbands ni contributions and only £ 8.00 per week was for my son . So why doesn't the £8.00 stop and the rest continue ? No one at HMRC can answer my question ! p.s. I was made redundant last year and have now taken my private pension . Regards ***** *****
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The simple answer is that the legislation that created this benefit also created this restriction.
Although the payments are base don you late husbands contributions the benefit is one which is only available where the surviving partner has a dependent child to care for,
You will be able to benefit from his contributions again as and when you retire
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can I benefit from my late husbands contributions ? Would I be entitled to anything now ? regards ***** *****

You are not entitled to anything now - unless you are eligible in your own right
You can work out how your pension will be effected using the information here
https://www.gov.uk/death-spouse-benefits-tax-pension/pensions