12826847

I run a public house and unfortunately a ladder was left

I run a public house and unfortunately a ladder was left propped up against a wall inside the pub which somehow fell and knocked a customer on the head. The customer hasn't caused a fuss but says she was unable to work the next day because she had mild concussion (and a huge bruise) and feels that she should be compensated for loss of earnings. Im happy to give her an amount as a gesture of goodwill but im worried then im admitting liability and it should be done officially through solicitors and insurance via compensation etc...? I'd rather it didn't come to that but im just a bit worried about just giving her cash because she's asked for it. I don't feel she's being difficult though and I do feel she shouldn't lose earnings.
You should put any offer in writing but you can just make this offer on a full and final settlement basis with no admission of liability.
The trouble is that from what you say you are liable and so the sooner you put it to bed the better.
If you write to her with a cheque saying that you make this offer in full and final settlement of any claim arising from this incident on a no admissions basis it should mean that she cannot bring any other claims. Given the circumstances she would have some form of claim for personal injury too so it would be in your interests to resolve this.