UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

If I am organising an mountain event in the Lake District that

Customer Question

If I am organising an mountain event in the Lake District that uses a public right of way, can the landowner charge me for this use ?
"With regard to costs, we ask for a standard 3% of entry fee as a contribution to conservation of habitats and repair of footpaths in the uplands. This will go into the Fix the Fells programme for use across the Lakeland fells"
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You should not be charged for using a public right of way normally if you are getting from point a to b.
However, there are limitations such as stopping for long periods etc. and depending on what event you will be having, the landowner may impose a fee for you to hold your event on their land which you may or may not accept. If you do not accept to pay, you should not hold your event on their land.
I suggest you read up here on your rights on using public rights of way in the Lake District
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/walking/rowfaqs
Hope this helps