Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My wife has just received from the police officer the

Customer Question

My wife has just received from the police officer the notice (who came to our house a 9pm) to
attend the court at 9.00 am tomorrow as a witness. Our house was robbed 3 yearss ago while we were on holidays. Since then we have been asked several times to attend and even come two times to th ecourt waiting 4 hours and nothing happened.
She has another important appointment at 9.000 and can not make it 12 hours notice.
Any advise?
All the best,
Igor
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The police and witness care team should really have made more of an effort to keep you updated with progress but unfortunately the system is such (due to underfunding/lack of resources etc) that it's difficult to give people proper notice. Your wife really has to make court a priority but if the hospital appointment is important a copy of the letter should be given to the police and they should be informed that she will not be able to attend until after. The Judge will postpone the hearing for a short while especially if she has attended in the past.