Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My next door neighbour's front and back gardens are covered

My next door neighbour's front and back gardens are covered in Marestail/Horsetail about two feet high. He refuses to do anything about it. It is now coming under the fences into my garden, that I try to keep very nice. Is there anything I can do to make him kill it off?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. This amounts to "nuisance" and you have a legal right to seek compensation and a court order forcing him to out right any damage caused to your property. You should firstly write to your neighbour to explain the situation and ask him to deal with the problem within a reasonable amount of time say 14 days (you can instruct a solicitor to do this if you prefer). If your neighbour does not comply with your request you will have to issue County Court proceedings and obtain an order for him to deal with this problem - if he fails to comply the Court can hold him in contempt and fine him or send him to prison. Can I assist further with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear ***** H

Thank you for your reply, I now understand the legal option.

Unfortunately my wife and I are both in our seventies, my wife is registered disabled, and I suffer with advanced prostate cancer, so you can perhaps understand that we are not very keen on going to court, as we both have many hospital appointments as well.

I was hoping there might be a simpler solution so as to avoid animosity between neighbours.

Thank you once again, and I'm happy with your reply.

Yours sincerely

JEB

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
There is no need to go to court if your neighbour does the decent thing and complies with your written request to put things in order. You could even speak to him/her to explain how this is causing you some anxiety. If s/he refuses then legal action is the way forward unless you are happy just to leave things as they are.