Thanks for the response. It has put my mind at ease. I thought we were going to be in trouble.
I don't under the answer of "Yes?" to question C. Are you merely prompting me to ask a question? If so, the question is "Is the countersigner in trouble?". Based on your other answers I imagine your response will be "no, he is not in trouble". Please could you confirm.
If I ring the passport office tomorrow and explain all of this do you think they will reissue my son's passport to my address? Will they likely want some kind of formal written declaration which will hold up the release of the passport? I am concerned as time is ticking and if my son could have taken receipt of the passport yesterday, he would have been starting work on Monday. The intended employer has been made aware that we are waiting for the passport but any delays may see the job offer being withdrawn.