75100385

I was given permission to breed cats in my council property

I was given permission to breed cats in my council property in 2011. This was given verbally by my then housing officer in front of a social worker. I was never asked to put it in writing, however, this fact is stated on a social service report. Then in March 2013 whilst myself and my 2 daughters were at a cat show, my son then aged 3 fell out of a bedroom window. This resulted in social services becoming involved again who came out and mentioned cats at my property. I was then told I could not breed, as nothing in writing. I was advised of something called estoppel? I have now apparently had a complaint sent in to the council about my cats from neighbours, spoken to the neighbours who say they know nothing about it?? Received a letter today saying I have to get rid of my cats, because i am running a business, I am not! It is a hobby and whatever I sell my kittens for I have to offset against what I have already paid out. I was just wondering if you have any advice on where I stand with this please?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Does your social worker confirm she witnessed the conversation ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not seen that particular social worker for a couple of years, however, it was noted on a social service report, if that counts?

You have that report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do

Ok, if you have been given permission they are 'estopped' from taking any further action. They made a representation and you relied on it. They can't now change their minds. Even if they had not given they knew about this in 2011 if there was a breach by you breading cats, it would be deemed they have accepted your breach.
Therefore they can't change their minds now. You should write to the Chief Officer and set out a complaint including the report. Say they are estopped from taking action. That office will investigate matters. If you are not happy with the outcome you can then complain to the Ombudsman.
They offer a free service which is independent. They can examine your complaint at: www.lgo.org.uk
That should resolve the issue. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great! Thank you so much for the advice. I have been collating reports myself, as they seem to think it is a business. Showing what I have spent out and what I have come in - it is a hobby that I do not make anything on! I am very grateful for your advice, thank you very much :)

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?