We have a signed contract to start tenancy of a rented

We have a signed contract to start tenancy of a rented property today and yesterday the letting agent told us the property had failed its gas safety certificate. They had put the property on the market without an up to date certificate. We have movers booked for Monday but agent can't get repairs effected and retested until Monday and that's not guaranteed. Do we have a claim against the agent for additional costs incurred by not being able to move in?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
Has the landlord also signed please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

Yes she signed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she signed

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The Landlord in that case is in breach of contract so yes you can sue for loss and damage caused by not moving in on the contracted date.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can we make the claim against the letting agent as we believe it was they who negligent here and we wouldn't want to cause a rift with landlady who we are likely to sign a new contract with

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.