Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have been accused of boing racist because I asked a shop

I have been accused of boing racist because I asked a shop assistant if the far inferior treatment I was given (compered to my male friend) was because I was a woman. She was wearing a scarf all around her head and was obviously a muslim and I said that "I am aware that in your culture women are inferior to men is this why you have treated me differently?" I was then accused of racism but I don't think I am racists since the Holy quran clearly states that a woman's status is lower than a man's.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When you say "accused" - do you mean by the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No by the woman

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Its not racism because you were not commenting on her race. The comment was about her religion - which is obviously different to racism because religion is not confined to any particular group of people or colour of skin. Further, there is nothing particularly hostile or malicious about your comment. It seems to be a general observation about her attitude towards you. It clearly hit a nerve with the lady but I cannot see any 'racisim' here.