Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

We purchased a kitchen and paid goods and 50% of the

We purchased a kitchen and paid for the goods and 50% of the installation costs up front
we were told it would take 1.5 to 2 weeks to fit, we are now in the 10th week and it is still not finished with things missing eg dishwasher. How do we stand legally on the remainder of the balance of the installation costs and or compensation for the length of time and disruption?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Why has there been such delays?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they were supposed to start on the 20th April but because they were running behind on previous work we were delayed until the 29th April. Since then they have had delays due to an injury to a fitter, we also believe they are short staffed so are sub-contracting the work out and we only get maybe half a days work done a week as the sub-contractor is fitting us around their own work, We believe the dishwasher was in the kitchen still in it box but we were told this was not a dishwasher but they had received 2 cooker hoods, yet we were also told that the cooker hood had been delivered and was dented so they needed to re-order it, we are still waiting for the dishwasher, upstands , glass splashback to go behind the hob and also all the finishing items such as architraving around the door and the painting and cleaning

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
This is a serious breach of your agreement with the company and also a breach of an implied term relating to performance under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. I'm sure you have already complained about the delay but if you have not I recommend that you put your complaint in writing to the company immediately. On the issue of compensation, it's difficult to quantify how much you should hold back - but bearing in mind this is a kitchen and you have probably suffered considerably as a result of the delays you should only hold back a reasonable amount of money. I imagine you wish to avoid litigation but if it goes down that route then you need to be seen as a reasonable customer who has suffered in the face of extraordinary delays. 25% would not be unreasonable in my view.