How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My tenants were supposed to leave the property at the end of

Customer Question

My tenants were supposed to leave the property at the end of their contract -summer 2014 - but they didn't. They told me that they wanted me to evict them but I didn't want to get involved in this process. They said they understood and would leave but asked for a few months grace but have not left and are still in my property a year later, despite my asking them to leave and asking for updates on their progress. They said they are finding it difficult to move from my property as they do not want to move to a cheaper area that might be outside of London. I explained that I had made arrangements to move back into my property. At present I am staying with a friend which is putting strain on her as I am a single parent and also have my son living with me. I notified them by text and phone call in early May 2015 to let them know I was increasing the rent. They replied that they could pay more but felt the increase was a bit steep - I had to increase it due to a major works bills - which they are benefitting from. They said they could pay a lesser amount. I texted that their request was not possible. They have not paid the required rent however - paying the previous lower rent instead. I tried to meet with them yesterday to discuss matters and hopefully look at a way forward, they agreed to meet but then did not turn up. I hand delivered a letter stating the rent increase (which is still good value for the property) and will send one by post. Can you advise me on what I have to do to get them out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What type of contract do they have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Assured shorthold tenancy for 6 months. It has not been renewed since but I gave them a note saying that I would allow them to stay 3 more months to look for a place to move on to.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly you can't just increase the rent. There is a proper Section 10 procedure to follow which includes notifying them of their right to take the decision to increase rent to a Land Tribunal.
To get them out you need to serve a Section 21 notice, you will find templates of these online. Once you have served this, they have 2 months to leave. If they do not then you can apply to Court for possession. You need to complete form N5
The court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to give possession. Once the court does and they do not move out then you can evict them with bailiffs. But you cant evict without a Court order, this is illegal.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions