Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

What are my rights if my manager record and tape me on cctv

What are my rights if my manager record and tape me on cctv in a covert manner without my knelodge.Is this accepatable.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for your employer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3 years

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain your situation in more detail please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I work as a night concierge at a building i have worked here for 3 years.I have recently served with disciplanary papers.The allegations are that i had left my post without permission.However the manager wrote that she has installed the cctv on her lob top to check up on us.She did not tell us that she was going to do that.

There are no.mentioned in our contract anout covert monitoring.there is no mentioned in the company hand book.

In view of the DPA which lay out the rules on how covert monitoring can be don,which was clearly not fallowed.What are my optioned

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Well you are right that covert monitoring is contrary to the Data Protection principles. You are entitled to raise a grievance with the employer on that basis and appeal any disciplinary action you may face. If you are dismissed as a result of covert monitoring you will be able to claim unfair dismissal on the basis that the actions of the employer were unreasonable and unlawful in covertly monitoring you.
You can also report the employer to the Information Commissioner. You will find the details at ico.gov.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process.