75100385

I produce a community newspaper and wanted to congratulate

I produce a community newspaper and wanted to congratulate the community for voting in new people.
Can I write the following without getting sued:
"The May elections brought change with regard to who now represents the community at ******* and *******. A couple of long-standing councillors lost their seats and were replaced by new councillors who won more votes (page 5).
"There are some positive signs in the way that the community voted. Residents showed that they weren’t prepared to just vote for the same old councillors as a matter of habit. Instead, they would think about who they wanted to represent them.
"Some of the candidates had put a lot of flyers and newsletters through doors, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that their work with the community had been particularly strong.
"Although this newspaper has no political allegiance, it’s nice to see that people in the community are able to think things over and bring in their preferred representatives."
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
As long as what you say is true then you wont get sued. Looking at the above it seems ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some of the candidates are very unpleasant and would sue if they could. They live in the community that my newspaper serves.

They might argue that they there is some veiled slander going on. Among others, they did promote themselves with a lot of literature in the run up to the election. They might allege that I am implicating them where I write:

"Some of the candidates had put a lot of flyers and newsletters through doors, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that their work with the community had been particularly strong."

Is that safe to write?

There is no slander. Even if they didnt put a lot of flyers, it isnt saying anything negative.
Its fine.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.