75100385

Completing online tax self assessment - unsure where to

Customer Question

Hi, completing online tax self assessment - unsure where to put the start up costs of renting a property i.e. washing machine, fridge, freezer, cooker, lawnmower, shed, curtains and poles. Can I claim against gas safety check fee as well? where would I
put these on the tom? Also Mudeposits insurance can I claim against this as well? I have already put in property and contents insurance. Please tell me where to put any or all of the above items listed above.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You can't claim for all the costs of washing machine etc. Its capital cost which can be written off over a number of years, but not all in year 1.
You can claim for insurance etc. You simply reduce this against your income. So lets assume your income was £20,000 for rental income, but had £5000 in expenses. In the income box you would put £15,000