12826847

My ex girlfriend (we were never married) has residency of our

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend (we were never married) has residency of our 5 year old son. he attends school. There was I am sorry to say domestic abuse towards her during our short time together although it was a minor assault (I punched her in her back and she left me the next day). There is a court order in force outlining my contact with my son - currently fortnightly from 0945 to 1655 and soon to start overnight stays (basically has taken 3 years to get this far as we had only lived together for 6 weeks when our son was born.
I have now got access to the school for parents evenings, sports days etc, but the court order limits my access to that by invitation to by the school or to attend school events. My ex says that as she has residency and has the day to day care of our son that she has priority for attending classroom based events but has no problem with me attending the school events.
The difficulty is that our son is put in the middle and ends up doing two school projects whereas my ex says that the classroom events are day to day affairs and it is not fair on our son for him to have this pressure.
I want to go for custody but I'm not sure I'll get it as we have never lived as a family unit and my ex is angry that I am using custody as a way to get at her
Is my ex right about classroom events being day to day care?
Would I be successful in going for custody or joint residency?
Barry
Do you have parental responsibility for the child?
What is the exact wording of the court order regarding the school events?