Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Does a small one employee retail shop need a complaints procedure

does a small one employee retail shop need a complaints procedure by law
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you have a problem with the employee that has led to this question or is it just a general query?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I display 3 notices in my shop stating; please note that we do not give refunds unless the goods are faulty or damanged;

A customer wishes to return goods she bought and I am refusing to give a refund. The CAB has informed her to complain through the business complaints procedure and that every business should have one, is this correct.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok so this is not an issue with the an employee but with a customer.
what is the reason that the customer wants to return the goods?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The customer bought a mobility scooter a week ago for her husband but he has now decided he does not want it. I not sure why, when I asked why not I was only given vague answers.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok the CAB adviser is wrong if they did indeed say that the employer. There is no need for a small employer to have a complaints procedure, although it is possibly a good idea, and it is certainly not a legal requirement.
The Sale of Goods Act governs this and this states that there is no right to a refund or exchange unless the item is not of satisfactory quality or not fit for its purpose. Neither of these apply here.
You do not need to offer a refund unless you want to as a gesture of goodwill.
There will be no action the customer can take if you refuse to refund.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.