29905560

I work local authority and have just been made

Customer Question

Hello.
I work for a local authority and have just been made the subject of a formal complaint by a parent.
The LA are answering the statements accusing me of a breach of the data protection act (which I do not appear to have breached). However they do not seem keen to address or challenge the statements made about my professional behaviours in meetings (that I reduce parents to tears) and the statement that my behaviours have resulted in my removal from cases by other professionals.
These statements strike me as defamatory and are presented as fact with no actual evidence. Given that the complaint has been shared with high ranking members of the LA and with the parent's MP I am concerned at the thought that this written statement is a slur on my professionalism and damages my professional reputation.
Is there anything I could do legally to challenge this parent? Or ought I to be asking my employer to be more forceful in their response?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Sue
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this role - since 2011. Overall, 25 years in education.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. You cannot really force the employer to act in any particular way in order to deal with this complaint. This would only become an issue if they decide to take formal disciplinary action against you and in these circumstances they would be required to undertake a reasonable investigation. That could mean obtaining further details from the complainant in order to determine the truth behind these allegations. However, if no formal action is being sought by them then they are free to leave this as it is, without taking the matter further or further challenging the parent who made the complaint.
In terms of direct action against that person, whilst this may appear to be a potential case of defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now.
First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:
1. The statement has to be untrue.
2. It must directly identify the complainant.
3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.
4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.
5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.
Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect.
You must also consider whether the party alleged of making the defamatory statement can defend the claim. Even if you satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion.
There is of course nothing stopping you from contacting the other party and threatening them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, but I would not recommend that you actually proceed with a claim for defamation due to the issues highlighted above.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Ben - really helpful & reassuring.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best