Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have a couple of very old invoices that are around 6 years

i have a couple of very old invoices that are around 6 years old but are worth about 15k i want to revisit them to chase for the money what legal rights/means do i have now to try and re-cope this money
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are they more or less than 6 years old?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 of them is nearer 7 years and the other is about 6 years now

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Have the parties concerned acknowledged the debt in the past 6 years by saying that they know it is payable or otherwise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain how and when?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 of the depts is 12k and 2 years ago they offered 10k settlement

we are a sub-contractor and these works are for main contractors

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** event that the debt has been acknowledged in this way they cannot use the Limitation Act to argue that a claim is statute barred.
You need to send both parties a letter before action to say that if the debt is not paid within 14 days you will lodge a claim in the County Court.
If they try to argue that the Limitation Act applies produce evidence of this offer to refute that.
If they do not pay then I would urge you to file a claim as soon as possible.
If you have any further questions please ask.
If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

and what happens if we send out reminders but the company does not acknowledge them..?

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
That does not make any difference to the limitation act. If that happens and they are not acknowledged or responded to you must ensure a claim is raised within the 6 year period.