75100385

I have lived in this house as a tenant years - initially

Customer Question

I have lived in this house as a tenant for 12 years - initially it was a 1 year tenancy agreement - that was renewed the second year - after that I received no more tenancy agreements and when I reminded her she said she would get it sorted out - she did not.
Approximately 12 months there was a mix up with the banks and my rent got 'lost' somewhere between my bank and hers. This has never been sorted, but bank said it left as usual on the 15th of the month (the agreed date) and everything went into limbo between the two banks. Last year about August/September time she asked for a 6th month tenancy agreement to be signed - which I did - it is now almost 12 months later and she still has not sent me a new agreement. The house is falling into disrepair and when I ask for a job to be done, it is well and truly bodged. We did agree in 2003 that she maintain the structure and outside of the property and I the inside - which I have done using qualified decorators and top class products. She now expect me to redecorate inside the property, I was told this by her odd job man. I did say if she carried out the necessary outside work I would do this - but the workmanship of the odd job man is just that 'odd'. Where do I stand
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please? What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PS - it was an assured short term tenancy originally although she agreed that I could be here 10 years and then rethink my needs. I am now 80.

In short you want the property repaired?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That you be nice, but I don't think it is going to happen - can she ask me to leave if I do not do the work that I said I would do if she did the necessary work on the outside ? I see no point in my spending a lot of money and having work done to a high standard with high quality paints etc. as she is obviously disinterested in the property and only interested in receiving her rent.

Sadly yes. Because you probably have an assured short hold tenancy you can be asked to leave with 2 months notice. Unless you have anything else in writing that allows you to stay longer, sadly you can be asked to leave with little notice.
I know this is unfair but sadly it is the legal position. If you said you would do the work in exchange for the landlord also doing work then this could be construed as a contract which is legally binding. That is because you said you would do x and get x in return.
That would be a contract you could sue on, but even if you sued the landlord could still give you 2 months notice.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.