75100385

I have bought a "buy to let" flat (in the UK) with a tenant

Customer Question

Hi, I have bought a "buy to let" flat (in the UK) with a tenant in it, but I do not want to use the current Estate Agent to manage the property, but they are saying that they "own" the tenant and I have to use them if I want to keep that tenant - is this legally true? Thanks in advance.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you have a contract with the agent and if so, what does it say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I do not have a contract with the agent since it was the previous owner who had the contract and got the tenant into the flat. I have since bought the flat with the tenant in it.

OK. Then the agent does not own the tenant. The agent has no contract with you and really you can do whatever you want.
If they wanted to keep the tenant they ought to have sent you a new contract to sign. They did not and as such you owe them no rights.