How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33287
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Mother and Father were married, she passed away in 2008

Customer Question

I’m looking for legal advice regarding a potential future will dispute and where I would legally stand.

My Mother and Father were married, she passed away in 2008 leaving myself(son) 50% of the family home. I now legally own 50% of the home, I’m on the land registry, mortgage etc…

The other 50% of the home is owned by my Father who has a will made out to split his remanding estate/ possessions to myself, sister and half brother. My Dad has recently found a partner and may potentially marry within the near future. Our concerns are:

1. Would she legally be entitled to the 50% of the house in my name after several years?

2. Would she legally be entitled to my father's 50% share? Even though he has already made a will?

3. Would she legally be entitled to any share of the property(mine or my fathers) if she didn't marry my Father but paid any form of rent etc… ?

These are the scenarios I can think of, it would be useful to receive any further advice to potential outcomes with the details above. thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your half of the property is secure no matter what.
Your father will need to make a new Will after the marriage as marriage revokes previous Wills.
The longer the marriage lasts the more likely it is that his wife will have a claim on the property
If she simply lives at the property and they do not marry and she makes no payment towards the property then she will not acquire a share in it, although if your father dies after two years she will have a financial claim oh HIS estate
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you.

Would it make a difference to the situation if the property has no mortgage as in it is paid off?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
None whatsoever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if no mortgage exists or exists her potential claim to my Fathers half of the property will pretty much be reliant on whether she pays a consistent amount of money to the running of the household ?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where there is no marriage yes her financial contributions are what is relevant HOWEVER if your father dies without making a Will or without making SOME provision for her (even if it just time to remain in the property) then she has a potential claim on the estate if they have cohabited for more than two years

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice