13262538

When I separated from my husband, he kept a huge amount of

When I separated from my husband, he kept a huge amount of my belongings both sentimental and monetary. He locked the doors of the house from the inside so I couldn't get in. Months later I contacted the Police who visited his parents house (he moved back home - this is also where my stuff was!) and the Police said, they were told to 'go away'. At the time I was going through our divorce which is now complete but I never got the opportunity to discuss getting my stuff back. The Police, at the time, said he was entitled to half, so they couldn't do much.
Where do I stand now? He kept my engagement ring, wedding ring, other jewellery, the deposit on the house (the tenancy was in joint names), he sold LOADS of it including the kids stuff, ie a large trampoline, a whole wardrobe of my clothes, a 3 piece suite, 3 lots of bedroom furniture etc etc. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How far has the divorce reached?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The divorce was finalised about 2 years ago.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What happened with the Financial side of the divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was never discussed. We had one mediation session which he manipulated so we didn't have anymore. I got so sick of him, I just signed the decree absolute form to get rid. In hindsight, I should have stuck it out.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What is his current financial position - and please confirm that you have not remarried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's been living with his parents for the last 7 years (since we separated) and is working full time, so has had ample opportunity to save, but understand he's very recently or in the process of moving. Not sure whether it's rented or bought. I just know he's moving in with his girlfriend. And no I haven't remarried, I'm single and staying that way.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What happened to the proceeds of sale from the matrimonial home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Our house was sold prior to me leaving him. He was in a huge amount of debt, we had a second mortgage. There was only a small profit and this went towards the remaining debts. We then moved into rented, in joint names, but when he left there 2 or 3 months after I moved out, he also kept all the deposit.

I don't know whether this makes any difference, but the reason we sold the house is because he was caught fiddling his expenses at work, and was suspended while they carried out investigations (I have proof of this). I had only just started up a new business, so we needed the money.

I closed the new business and got a part time job and found somewhere to live and I made him go back to previous employers and beg them for a job, as we had children to feed!

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Has he paid child maintenance?
How much do you each earn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, he pays maintenance for 1 child. He's on £22,000 plus he has a company car, but he's recently moved across to another department so I don't know if this has changed.

Unfortunately, I fell quite ill about 2 years ago so am on benefits, but recently have been looking for part time work.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What was the very rough value of the assets that he retained?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hard to say, probably about £5,000. A lot of it had sentimental value, which I understand I can't do anything about.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Would £2,000 be helpful to you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it all helps.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Since you have not remarried it is not too late to make an applictaion to the courts for the financial issues to be dealt with.
This can include applying for a lump sum to allow you to replace the items that he disposed of. It can also include an applictaion for spouse maintenance since he is working and you have not been able to.
Your starting point is to make an appointment with a Family mediator
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk.
If he refuses mediation then you can make an applictaion to the court
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.