12826847

There I need some advice please. I am a single mother

Customer Question

Hi there I need some advice please. I am a single mother of 2 children and a carer for my disabled mother. I do not have any payed work. I am currently receiving income support and child tax credits and carers allowance for looking after my mother. I live in a property provided by a housing association on a long term assured tenancy. I receive full housing benefit and a deduction on the council tax.
I received a letter last week from concentrix suggesting that they think I may have another adult living with me and if so then the tax credits will be incorrect as I am claiming as a single person.
As a result of this they need curtain information from me. I need to provide my council tax statement for the last tax year along side my rent statement for that period and a list of everyone living at my address.
All the above is absolutely fine for me to provide as I have nothing to hide however I am concerned about the final thing they need which is my bank statements. The reason for this is that the father of my children has been putting money into my account which he owed me every month.
Approximately 12 years ago when I was working full time I gave him £15000.00 as a loan cause he wanted to start his own business. This money was given to him form the equity of my property which I sold.
Shortly afterwards we separated. He said to me as time went on that he will pay the money back to me when he could.
All them years passed with no success in returning the money, then about 18 months ago he started to return the money on a monthly basis direct from his account to mine. He puts in between £600 to £700 into my account every month.
I dont have any savings and I am overdrawn every month because I am paying for 11 plus private tutoring for my child and his private tennis coaching from the money his father returns to me.
I am worried about showing my bank statements to concentrix. What and how should i deal with this issue?
Mrs R Eunice
Have you not told them about the payments from him you receive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Jo I have not told them. I felt that because it wasn't earned income it should be ok? Not sure?

No, they were entitled to be told and it would have had an impact upon your claim.
There are really no magic wands now. They will find this. The only way forward is to disclose and hope they accept it was an honest mistake. If they do then at least you won't be prosecuted but you would probably have to repay the amounts you have received.
If they will not accept that then I'm afraid they may prosecute. It depends on the sum of the overpayment.
I'm very sorry but that is your position I'm afraid.