13262538

My ex has the children 144 nights per year. He pays

Hi - my ex has the children 144 nights per year. He pays £1250 per month  in child maintenance.

The children go to private pre-school which currently costs about £1400 per month. This will rise next year to around £2500 per month. All of which is paid by myself (using the majority of the child support I receive).

He earns around £200k basic plus bonus (I have no idea what his bonus is but has been around the £100k mark in the past).

Am I being greedy to ask for financial disclosure so that the figure is fixed? I struggle to pay for everything (my salary is around £58k).

He wants 50/50 custody and assumes that this will zero out any child support from either side - is he correct please?

How old are the children and was it a joint decision that they go have a private education?
Are or were you married at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've never been married. The children are 3. We both work full time so using a pre school with 8-6 care 5 days a week, it's attached to a private school. They need to remain at the pre school until at least july 2016 but can start state school in September 2016.
We would both like them to remain in private ed but I've expressed concern re affordability but he says we should go halves. However, this would mean a big chunk out of my income vs a small percentage of his, effectively meaning every penny of maintenance is spent on education.
It would not be unreasonable for you to ask him to fund the private school fees in a proportion the amount you each earn; and he should be paying a percentage of his TITAL gross income as child maintenance - not just of his basic wage.
I suggest that you try and discuss this with him using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
and make it plain that if necessary you will use Schedule 1 of the Children Act to obtain better provision - more details here
http://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed1807
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details