13262538

My husbands mother is threatening to take us to court to gain

My husbands mother is threatening to take us to court to gain more access to our children. She sees them whenever she wants, but claims to friends and family I (daughter in law) will not her see them, she visits once, sometimes twice or more a week. She has tried to split myself and husband up, even thrieatening to stand up in church and say something on our wedding day and many other incidences. I get anxious when she visits as I am worried about the lies she is spreading about me and that she is trying her best to cause conflict between my husband and I. I am white South African and she has been racist towards me, calling me black etc. The conflict and stress with her phonecalls causes my 3 year old to cry at times. I feel she is trying to split my family up and need professional help and advise. I have read up about proceedings and also that other couples has applied for a non-molestation order.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Which part of the UK are you in?
How old are the children and where does she see the children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bath, 1 three year old and a 9 month old baby. She mainly visits at our house and sometimes her house, she lives 2 miles away.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Will your husband support you in limiting her visits
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As my husband is the only child it is difficult for him. We have just today had a situation occur where she turned up at our house unannounced with a friend, this is after the last time we spoke a week ago where she told me that she feels sorry for my children and do they know what a liar I am. We had conflict because I found out that she made payments out of a joint second property account for our holiday home which she shockingly does not want to pay back £2700. I could not cope with her today as had a very bad day with teething baby and told her for the first time that it was not convenient to visit. She the later contacted my husband and stated she wants to see my eldest daughter and he agreed to take her to her house later in the week, which caused an argument as I feel he does not support me and state to his mum that her behaviour is unacceptable, otherwise she thinks she can treat me one way and still have a normal relationship with my children.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The first thing to say is that grandparents have no automatic right to contact - and need permission from the court to even apply for it.
The court would certainly not make any orders in a situation such as this where she is already having more than adaquate contact but simply wishes to be able to treat your home as a cafe.
Might I suggest that you make it plain that she is only to attend your house by invitation, and tell your husband that this is how it must be.
Then have her to tea one week and the next week suggest that your husband takes the children to her house so you have a break.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details