How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My question is regarding criminal record dislosure from

Resolved Question:

My question is regarding criminal record dislosure from the UK, if I was to apply to obtain living Visa, due to marriage in Colombia.
Throughout my child and teen years, from 14 until the age of 23 (4 years ago), I had an addiction to drugs, and developed a long criminal record. The crimes tended to be petty, with the exception of a few, which I am most concerned -
At age 15 (12 years ago) i was convicted of GBH with intent & sentenced 12 months, of which i served 6 in custody.
At age around 20 (7 years ago) i was making DMT, a class a listed psychedelic chemical, in my room at home and was charged with production (NOT with intent to supply) and sentenced to 12 month probation.
At age 22, in a cry for help which went wrong, I phoned the police in order to admit to indecent images of minors, which I had downloaded on my computer. After one year waiting for verdict I was cautioned & placed on the sex offenders register for 2 years. This expired over 2 years ago.
Around that time (2011) I became clean of drink and drugs and have developed no further criminal record.
My question is this -
I am currently backpacking in South America and have found myself in a love relationship with a Colombian women.
If I was to get married and apply for a Visa to live in Colombia, what would the UK declare from my record? When do these things on my record expire? I mean, assuming they are still an issue, how long would i have to wait until they are wiped?
I also have concerns that if the sex offending information was sent to Colombia my personal safety might be in danger, due to corruption & lack of protection measures?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

The UK would not declare your records without your consent so you need to check with a local Columbian lawyer what the requirements are for you obtaining a Columbian visa and whether any criminal checks are carried out against you as part of the Columbian visa application process.

Personally, I would be surprised that Columbia would even ask you about your UK criminal background and unless you disclose the same voluntarily, no one in Columbia need know or find out about your past.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doing research on the internet it would seem I would need a criminal record report.
If i was to obtain one how far back would it go?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

The UK police certificate would reveal all convictions on the police national computer, no time limit as to how far the records go:

However, I do not see the criminal record being asked anywhere here:

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions