How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

British citizen, retired, lived outsed uk years, not

Customer Question

british citizen, retired, lived outsed uk for 40 years, not resident for all this period, considering to come back to uk., but try how it feels to live here fist.How many days can he stay in UK before being considerd as a resident not domiciled not to start paying tax in UK as well? (no property in UK yet, rent a vacation place)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

As a general rule of thumb, you should not spend more than 182 days in the UK, if you do, you will automatically be deemed to be UK resident for tax purposes.

There are other factors as well which are used to determine your UK residency status for tax purposes, see here for these:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we were confused with 46 days on, this is why we asked on the fist place for diferent residency posibilities in UK, which we never used.

We are resident and pay tax in France.And we thought we can stay here 182 days

in our case, the question was to find out how not to become resident not domiciled (implications of feeling another tax paper) before we know for sure that we are doing the right thing

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
If you have not been UK resident for the last 3 years, you may spend up to 46 days without becoming tax resident.
However, you may spend up to 182 days in the UK without being tax resident as well provided your main home is still in France and you have no home in the UK but are staying say in temporary accommodation such as a hotel or relatives house.
I suggest that you use this online tool to work out your residency status
All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are renting a place for 1 year, coud not get any less period without having a history of rent or residensy. Still having a residency (house) in France, where we are spending most of the time. Worried about becoming residents not domiciled for organisation reasons, Renting for 1 year, does it consider as temporary?

Can one of us , not British (EU) stay in UK for up till 182 days without paying tax in England?

We pay tax in France.

Thank you very much for your answer,

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Residing (and renting) in the UK for one year will be automatic residency in the UK for tax purposes.

Yes, one of you may stay in the UK for 182 days and not be deemed to be resident for tax purposes.

All the best-please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry to distubed you again, but if the british stay in the house less then 46 day in the financial year, will he still be a resident or he has to pay only a council tax? we are trying to sell property outside uk etc..

we are all confused

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Council tax is payable by an occupier of a property whether or not the person is a resident.
If the British citizen is in the UK for less than 46 days and has not been UK resident in the last 3 years, he does not become a UK resident.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice