LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My tenants have requested in a unsigned letter that I use their

My tenants have requested in a unsigned letter that I use their deposit in lieu of non payment of rent due 1st July 2015. They have also served me notice stating that the property will be vacated on the 4th August 2015. This is following a dispute over repairs to a cookers which I refused to purchase to new one and requested they got quotes for repair that I discussed with one of the tenants stating that I would pay 1/2 towards repairs however they have sort legal advise with regard to claiming back their deposit under the Tenancy deposit scheme which I the property is registered under. They have requested account details in which their deposit is held.
what can I do
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this question for you.
Normally it will be your responsibility to fix the cooker and your responsibility to get it fixed and contact the repairmen etc. If you have not done so then the tenants may be able to partially set off your claim for rent arrears by counter-claiming in the County Court (small claims?) for your failure to do so.
You should not accept the offer of the deposit as the last month's rent as this is not what a deposit is for and you do not hold it the scheme does so yo can not access it anyway.
You should give the tenants the details of the deposit scheme as requested by them.