UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Are companion sites a scam? They ask annual fee

Are companion sites a scam? They ask for an annual fee to be paid up front for someone willing to act as a companion on a social engagement or their clients. As a companion, you have to provide a profile and you "work" within a 20 mile radius of your home. As the companion, I apparently get paid upwards of £50 per hour. The site I have had a dialogue with is called "Simply Meet".
I have been asked to transfer my annual fee of £375 to their bank account before I can be classified as a companion and start getting work.
Am I being taken for a ride?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Not all companion sites are a scam e.g. match.com and dating.com

Although Simply Meet may be a genuine website, unless the owner of the website is known to you or reputable, there is no guarantee that you will get business in return for the annual fee you pay them, the same way I place an advert for a fee in Yellow Pages or a directory for my business and I do not get any customers in return.

It really is a commercial decision for you and you may ask the website owner to waive the fee for a year to see whether you do get any bookings or agree to set the fee off against any bookings you receive from the website rather than you having to dip into your pocket for the money and facing the possibility of not getting anything in return.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps