12826847

I was caught shoplifting today, an item just under £10, i received

Customer Question

I was caught shoplifting today, an item just under £10, i received a notice of intended civil recovery. I was told i will be getting a fine, i want to know whether you know roughly how much the fine will be and whether it give me a criminal record? Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you been charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope i have not been charged? Not that i am aware of! How will i know that i've been charged?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were the police called?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope they were not called

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If the police weren't called then there cannot be a fine. A store cannot levy a fine.
What it can do is send you a recovering notice which is normally around £250. Whether you pay it or not is another matter. They are not usually enforceable in court but then if you refuse to pay you run the risk of them calling the police.
If the police are not called then you cannot receive a criminal record. A store cannot impose one. They have no more power than anybody else to levy punitive measures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am also banned from that shop for a year. They told me that i will be getting a fine from retail loss prevention. I'm so scared :( and i feel really bad. what if i cant afford to pay the fine

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They probably will ban you from the store. That is something they are entitled to do to anybody.
If you can't afford to pay then that is a problem. If you can't afford to pay then you can't pay. They are not usually enforceable in court but then if you refuse to pay you run the risk of them calling the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What will they do if i can't afford to pay? Are you sure that they would actually charge that much for only one item?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes, it isn't anything to do with the value of the item. Theft is theft.
The police could give you a fixed penalty fine maybe. If you don't pay then they would summons you.
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am only 18!! If the police give me a fine, does that mean i will have a criminal record?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not a fixed penalty fine but that could show on enhanced DBS.
If you are sent to court then you would have a criminal conviction but only if you are sent to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is a enhanced DBS? will that prevent me from getting good jobs?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It will mean you may not be able to do work of a sensitive nature - like working with vulnerable people or children or some his trust roles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping to become a teacher, will this reduce my chances of becoming one?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you will be enhanced checked to be a teacher.
That will only arise if the police are called.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When i was stopped and confronted, they did not call the police and there was no presence of the police. They only took my details such as address, photograph etc

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will only call the police if you don't pay the recovery fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Other than that, will everything else be okay? Do i have any reason to be worried?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not in addition to the points above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So i definitely wont have a criminal record? Embarassed

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, I cannot tell you that.
If the police are called then you may.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you reckon they will be called?Frown

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so once i pay the fine, will everything be okay then?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is likely as i have said
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if they don't send me a fine? What else can they do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also is there a way to stop my ban from the shop?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, they are entitled to ban Im afraid. Any shop can withdraw their invitation to attend to any person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can a recovery fine do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?