UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I wish to build another fence on my side of my troublesome

I wish to build another fence on my side of my troublesome neighbour's fence but I worry that if I build it 6" on my side (which I believe is the legal requirement?) he will take his existing fence down and claim that extra 6" as his land. He breaks/pours weed killer on my shrubs next to his fence which he claims are growing over his land - they are only growing up the side of his fence, which has been rickety for some years. Ideally for me would be to build one metal fence as near to his as possible, then another wooden fence 6" inside that one. Expensive for me and perhaps petty but worth it for peace. Can you advise please?

I see there will be an alert message once my question has been reviewed.   I'm very sorry but I have a hospital appointment at 12:30 and need to leave my house shortly.   Can I come back to you at a later time/day and if so is there a reference number I can quote to bring me backe to this point?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - it is a busy time at present and I will wait a little longer.

Pat

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope you have received my reply saying I will wait a bit longer as you have said a reply will be with me in so many minutes. I don't seem to be able to find what else it is you want to know.

Pat

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your neighbour.
Although you are free to put up a fence on your side of the boundary, I agree that the more expensive option of putting up a metal fence and the wooden one seems like a sensible option if you believe that your neighbour will take down his fence the moment you have put yours up 6 feet away from your boundary.
Hope this helps
I see you left negative feedback. Please let me know if you require further assistance? Your satisfaction is very important.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How near to his fence am I legally allowed to erect a metal (or any other fence) for protection of my land? I was thinking it was a minimum of six inches but you have replied in feet. I have a shed and garage which both come almost parallel with the boundary line so I would have to stop short of them both. Six feet would defeat the object.

Sorry, I meant 6 inches not feet, as per you per your original question.
As long as you put up the metal or wooden fence on your land, you are fine. There is no minimum as such but 6 inches is reasonable.
All the best, ***** ***** you will change your review to positive.
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience