12826847

In February this year I was informed that a speed camera

Hi in February this year I was informed that a speed camera had caught me driving at 37mph in a 30mph zone. I paid the penalty fee of £100.00 and returned my licence with a covering letter to the police asking if they would consider not adding penalty points in view of my good character and unblemished 30 year driving record. They wrote back to me saying they were considering my letter. Since then my husband and I were involved in a car crash during which my husband was driving. The repairs to our car and three whiplash claims are being paid for by our insurer. I emailed the police earlier this week to ask when I would receive my licence and to ask whether any penalty points had been added. It turns out that my licence has been lost in the post and 3 penalty points added. Do I need to inform my insurer and will this invalidate the current claim in connection with the accident?
You do need to inform your insurer. You need to check the policy. Most of them now want to be informed immediately upon the addition of points and certainly upon renewal of pending points.
However, it will not affect the claim. Even if they had known upon renewal they would just have increased the premium slightly. You have not lied to them. You have not mislead them. You just didn't tell them because you didn't know and anyway they did not ask. That is perfectly reasonable.