31090051

My brother has terminal cancer and he wants to make a cash

my brother has terminal cancer and he wants to make a cash gift to me before he dies he has a large amount of money sitting in a general investment account and his financial advisor has told him he would need to get something drawn up by a solicitor he has a will which he has willed his entire estate to me
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.
If you are the only beneficiary of the estate I don't see why a solicitor has to draw up something unless anyone might contest the gift after his death. He can make the gift to you freely although it may have to be taken into account for inheritance tax purposes later on when his estate is being wound up.
If you could let me have more details of his family circumstances and a broad idea of his financial circumstances I would be happy to comment further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.