How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11743
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have written some computer software that a number of police

Resolved Question:

I have written some computer software that a number of police forces wish to use. How do I go about selling this software legally and above board, i.e registering it if needed and paying VAT if required. What would be the first step
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a lawyer with a special interest in intellectual property law and business.
If you have written the software yourself you are the copyright author and are entitled to grant a licence to your clients to use the software in return for your fee. There's no compulsory registration process for copyright works, which includes software, although there are commercial companies that will store the source code for you in escrow, if you want to do that. It's not necessary.
Obviously you have to create a payment structure and you should have a proper licence agreement drafted by your solicitor. The way that is done is a business matter for you to consider having regard to your marketplace. DO NOT, however, sell the copyright outright or grant rights by way of assignation. You will lose ownership and you require to retain ownership of the copyright so as to have the benefit of th exploitation rights over and over again as required.
As regards ***** ***** can register for VAT with HMRC if your turnover is going to exceed £82000. Below that you don't have to bother unless you want to.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to create a company so I can invoice for the license. Do I need to take into consideration any TAX requirements since this would be like a second income.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to do this through a company but it may be tax advantageous for you to do so. You would need to talk to an accountant about that but legally you can trade in your own name if you want to.
You would pay income tax on your net earnings. A company would pay corporation tax. Again you will have to set up some kind of business structure to enable you to trade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would you be willing to draft the agreement for a fee?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I can't take you on as a client as the rules of the site prohibit that. What I can do is draft you a software licence and technical support agreement with all the usual clauses and you can then revise it with names and in any way you want. The cost of that would be £400 which is about a quarter of the cost of you asking a high street solicitor to draft this. I can have it to you within 24 hours of payment which I suggest you do by way of bonus after rating on the JA system.
You can let me know.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That sounds reasonable, bonus on the way

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It wont let me bonus you 400. most is 114.30

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Strange. Do that then, confirm, I will reply and it should then open it up again and so on until you have made 4 x £100.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because i rated the answer already, it will now only allow £38.00 the additional charge.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
What to do is close this thread and open a new question requesting me and starting your narrative FORCustomerONLY and see what it allows. You don't need to write anything else. I will tell you that I have received the question and you can accept.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I have another idea. Request a phone call from me via the system.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I will send you private contact info below. Please contact me.